Virginia Mathematics Standards of Learning
Assessment Test given in the following grades:
Math 8 (Pre-Algebra)
Link to Virginia Department of Education Standards
of Learning Website with current information on Mathematics SOL
The Mathematics Standards of Learning
assessments will continue to be based on the 2001 Mathematics Standards
of Learning through the summer 2011 test administration.
Field-test items on the spring 2011 Mathematics Standards of Learning
assessments will include the new content of the revised 2009 standards.
In the 2011-2012 school year, the Standards of Learning assessments will
be based upon the revised 2009 Standards.
– identify the main objectives to be taught at each grade
– provide teachers additional details regarding the essential
understandings, questions, knowledge, and skills to address for each
– identify the number of items on the end-of-year assessment by
specific reporting categories for 3rd, 4th,
5th, 6th, 7th, 8th (Pre-Algebra), Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra
– provide teachers, students, and parents with what the official
assessment will look like so that they can become familiar with
format, length, and adherence to the test blueprint. There are
protocols for how, when, and for which tests these are released.
Enhanced Scope & Sequence
– provides teachers with ideas, lessons, and other resources to
bring the standards to life and ensure alignment between their
instruction and course objectives.