Music is a window to the world. It is a method of exploring where we have been and
where we are headed. Music gives children a chance to express their creativity and explore
their hearts. It requires emotion, but it also requires many of the higher level thinking
skills that go along with learning a foreign language or a higher level math. Music brings
students together for a common purpose and asks them to work as a team to create musical
memories that will stay with them for a lifetime.
Listed below is a summary of various aspects of the music program offered at Cool
- Weekly classes for grades K-5 provide students with opportunities to actively
participate in musical activities through singing, playing instruments, moving creatively,
and listening actively.
- Chorus is available for all interested 4th or 5th grade students. We perform a
several concerts a year with programs consisting of
songs from different eras and cultures.
- Fifth graders may also register for strings at the beginning of the school year. This
class meets twice a week and focuses on proper playing techniques. Students also learn the
basics of reading music and ensemble playing.
- Fourth and Fifth graders participate in learning how to play the recorder as a pre-band
experience and to enhance their music reading abilities.
- Third, Fourth, and Fifth grade students are given opportunities to perform for PTA
meetings during the year. We also try to incorporate performances for the younger
students during the school day.