Battlefield Park Elementary
School History

Battlefield Park School is housed in a four part building. The large, two-story center building, which was completed in 1936, originally held both the elementary and high school. In 1959, the new Lee-Davis High School was completed and drew students in grades eight through twelve from Battlefield Park School and Washington-Henry School. Five classrooms were added to the eastern portion of Battlefield Park in 1956 and a two-story west wing was built in 1968. In 1982, six more classrooms and a media center were added onto the east wing.

In 1969 when Hanover County Schools were integrated, the primary grades of Battlefield Park's attendance zone were combined with those of East End Elementary School's attendance zone. From 1969 to 1983, Battlefield Park housed grades 3-7 and East End Elementary housed grades K-2. With the opening of Cold Harbor Elementary and the closing of East End Elementary in 1983, new attendance boundaries were drawn and some Battlefield Park and East End students went to Cold Harbor Elementary. Battlefield Park School housed grades k-7 until 1990, when sixth and seventh grades became part of Stonewall Jackson Middle School.

A new addition containing eight classrooms opened in September 1998 on the west end of the school. Renovation to the library media center and office areas was completed in September 1998.

Throughout the growth and changes of the past years, Battlefield Park School has continued to retain the qualities characteristic of a community school. This sense of community will continue to serve Battlefield Park well during the continued growth of this area.