One School, One Book
One School One Book at Beaverdam - Winter 2018
The Lemonade War By: Jacqueline Davies
We are so excited about One School, One Book. This is a community book club whose members are the students, parents, and all the staff members at Beaverdam Elementary School. The whole school will be reading the same book at the same time. One School, One Book is intended to be a read-aloud selection. Each family receives one copy of the book to use as a family read aloud.
Each child received a parent letter with a timeline for reading with your child. Each child also received a bookmark with the reading schedule. During the school day, there will be trivia questions with prizes to further enhance your child’s enjoyment.
● Children whose parents read to them tend to become better readers and perform better in school, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.
● Reading to kids helps them with language and speech development.
● It expands kids' vocabulary and teaches children how to pronounce new words.
● Kids and parents can use reading time as bonding time. It's an excellent opportunity for one-on-one communication, and it gives kids the attention they crave.
● Being read to builds children's attention spans and helps hone their listening skills.
● Curiosity, creativity and imagination are all developed while being read to.
Being read to helps kids learn how to express themselves clearly and
For more information visit the Read to Them website http://www.readtothem.org/why/
OR the Reading Aloud website - http://www.readaloud.org/why.html
We hope you enjoy reading this story with your family. Reading a story together is a wonderful experience which also promotes literacy! Please remember that although you may have a student who can read this book independently, it is intended to be read aloud by the parent and enjoyed by the entire family. At the end of the book, students will have the option to keep the book or return it to be donated.
Book Donations – We will be holding a book swap later in the year. If you have gently used books, which are appropriate for elementary school students, which you would like to donate, please drop them off at the school library!
Thank you for your support! One School One Book Committee: Ms. Arnall, Mrs. Hoechst, Mrs. Huckstep, Mrs. Kanner, Mr. Joseph, Ms. MacPherson, and Mrs. Whaley
Thank You to the Hanover Education Foundation – Our grant from HEF helps to make our One School, One Book program possible!
Click here to see
Mysteries According to Humphrey by Betty
G. Birney - our One School, One Book selection for 2016-2017.
Address: 15485 Beaverdam School Rd, Beaverdam, VA 23015 Tel: 804.449.6373 Fax: 804.449.6510 Email: Webmaster